Saturday, February 10, 2007

Juliet Homes sold me a Lemon

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

I purchased a new condo unit at Tremont Towers from Juliet Homes and it was a lemon. I got sick from the high levels of molds in the condo development and was forced to move out. Juliet Homes walked me through the entire sales process and handled my mortgage. Within the first week of moving in I discovered my granite countertop was cracked in half, hot water did not work, my refigerator they promised never arrived, balcony was incomplete and rusting, water was intruding, and there was a strong musty/ mildew smell. I contacted Juliet Homes to request repairs, but no one called me back. I called my sales agent's cell phone. Sent certified letters. No response.
Certified Lab Mold Testing reported four molds present at unusual levels and I was getting sick - waking up with bloody noses and sleeping 18 hours a day. My doctor told me to move out immediately. Juliet Homes still ignored my requests. An arbitration clause prevented me from sueing them in the courts.
No one wanted to buy my unit and a foreclosure was inevitable. When it foreclosed, my credit score dropped from 745 to 500. I became homeless and broke, losing over $40,000 of savings invested into the condo. The 76-unit condo complex remains vacant, with one of the lowest occupancy rates in the neighborhood. I was unable to resell, fix, or live in my condo without taking a large loss or getting sick. The BBB's record on Juliet Homes is "Unsatisfactory" and called them a "contractor from hell". Juliet Homes remains under state and federal investigations. To date, Juliet Homes never responded to my phone calls, even two years later, and continue to build throughout the Houston area.

No comments: